Friday, May 1, 2020

Life in 2020



5 years ago, I realized I was depressed and began the journey I blog about on Beneath A Dappled Sky. I've shared my ups and downs. What works and what doesn't work. I still visit my therapist, Dr. Anna, once a month. One month I share all of the wonderful progress I've made in triumphing over perfectionism, then the next I may be coping with something in my life that makes me feel as though I am starting over. It is a journey.

We are all on a journey we've never been on before as we travel through the Corona Virus Pandemic of 2020. I've struggled a little with depression and anxiety again because life, both good and bad, continues to happen even during a pandemic.

2020 has been a hard year for my family. We mourned the loss of my mother-in-law who passed away on New Year's Eve, 2019. Then, my 28-year-old nephew and his girlfriend died in a motorcycle accident on March 15 - the week Colorado was told not to gather in groups of more than 10 people. A small family service was held. Overwhelming grief shows up on days we don't expect it. And then more life happens, good and bad.

The pandemic seems to magnify everything. We stay home in isolation. We live in fear of Covid-19. We go to the grocery store where shelves were empty. We almost ran out of toilet paper! Now we wear masks when we go to the store. 
When fear ramps up, I play the hammered dulcimer, read a book, or take a walk. I miss seeing my grandchildren several times a week, but I am thankful for video chats. 

Today Colorado moved from a Stay-At-Home order to Safer-At-Home. Restrictions loosened a little. I went to my hair stylist and got my hair done today! Little things make a difference. I still look forward to the day when I can meet a friend at a restaurant and visit.


It seems like a good time to write more blog posts for Beneath A Dappled Sky. Because one thing about life is we keep on going. And a time like this can be a time to learn and grow.



1 comment:

  1. This is great, Gayle. I realized yesterday, I feel like I'm in a grieving process all over again. But I'm trying to be optimistic, lean on God, keep a gratitude journal and find the joy in "little things."

    ReplyDelete